My Blog List

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Christmas - Dartmoor (inc the Prison) Devon,Cornwall

We had our Christmas just 20+ South of Bristol in Weston Super Mare and on the Saturday we drove down to the border of Cornwall / Devon to our Sister in Laws for just a couple of nights. As they live just a little South of Tavistock now we drove across Dartmoor which never fails to win me over with it's beautiful views. I know my camera can never really capture what you see,but I still can't help myself.


A Clapper bridge

Dartmoor Prison -1809


The view from Jo's, our Sister in Laws, in Gunnislake

At the bottom of the hill from Jo's and by the river,probably a Land Rover
enthusiasts worst nightmare

Madelyn and I had never been to Horsebridge before

........or this lovely pub 'The Royal Inn' built in approx 1480/90'
apparently originally as a nunnery

The bridge was built in 1437 by Benedictine monks
and the nunnery 50 years later

On our way and a quicker route back across the moor.
The Highwayman Inn at Sourton Cross and probably one of the most unusual pubs around

Even more unusual from the front
Originally built as a Inn in 1282

This derelict cottage is directly across the road from the Highwayman
and I don't remember ever noticing it before probably because we are always so
busy looking at the pub

Out of the hundreds of thatched cottages around the country
I don't remember ever seeing one like this before,especially with
the passageway 

Off of Dartmoor and across Exmoor.
Occasionally do a few hundred miles round trip from Bristol
on the Guzzi in the warmer months

No comments:

Post a Comment